Just finished reading “The Art of Racing in the Rain” and I have been treating my dog differently ever since I put it down. The book follows a car racer, Denny, through the eyes of his faithful dog, Enzo. Enzo has great insights to everything that happens in Denny’s complicated life. He smells sickness, senses tension, and feels trouble when it comes along.
Enzo repeatedly tells the reader that man manifests his own destiny. He sees people choose the path they will take. Enzo often compares life’s challenges to the challenges of driving in a race. Take the first corner slowly, racers often loose in the first turn but they never win then. Enzo also believes that he will come back as a human, and spends his days learning how to be a good person.
I have always secretly wondered if my dog, Baxter, can understand what is going on around him. Sometimes I look into his eyes and it seems like there is a sweetness and kindness deep down inside him. Other times he is running around barking like a crazy dog and I’m not so sure. Anyways, it is nice to have him around, and maybe someday he will help out our family in some small way. Just in case, I am going to appreciate and talk to him a little more often now. And if he comes back as a human, he is someone I would really like to know..
I have that book, but haven't read it yet. Another good book is "Dog's Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do" by Matt Weinstein and Luke Barber. Really made me think dogs know things we don't.
ReplyDelete